- 1kg of beef or lamb mince
- 4-6 rashers of free range bacon
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 eggplant peeled and diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves peeled, smashed (press with side of knife) and chopped
- 1-2 Jars of your fave sauce OR 2 x 400g tins of organic chopped tomatoes
- Dried italian herbs (especially if using tinned toms)
- Fry the onions and bacon in a little olive oil in a heavy based pan or cast iron pot (must have lid) for about 5 mins.
- Throw the mince in and break up well with a wooden spoon. Pan should be hot enough to fry not stew.
- When the mince is half browned add the garlic.
- Once the mince is just browned, add the italian herbs and cook for one more minute to release aroma.
- If your mince is very watery, drain some but not all of the liquid into the sink ( you lose a bit of flavour but the end result is better) and then add your carrot and eggplant. Stir through to coat in the oils and juices, about 5 minutes.
- Add your sauce or tomatoes and stir to mix well.
- Simmer gently for about 30 minutes with the lid on. Usually a mid size burner or hot plate is right. keep an eye on it and stir every 5 minutes or so. If it looks too moist or liquidy, take the lid off and let it evaporate a bit.
The end result should have little bit of liquid but still be thick enough that when put in a bowl the meat is not swimming! Stores well in fridge and tastes better the next day.