Silverside is great because it is cheap and when cooked properly it tastes awesome. It is called corned beef because the salt use to cure it comes as salt corns.
- 1.2kg of corned beef, preferably with a fatty top
- Bunch of baby carrots
- 1 onion
- 8 halved potatoes
- 1/4 cup of vinegar (apple cider is best, though can use any type)
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 black pepper corns (optional)
- Tsp salt
- 1 head cabbage thinly sliced
- Place everything in a pot except cabbage and cover with cold water.
- Either bring to boil on stove top but dont let boil hard and simmer gently for about 2.5 – 3 hours OR place in oven at 100 degrees for 4 hours – just set the timer.
- Take everything out and place in a dish and cover with foil, except pepper corns and bay leaves which you should chuck.
- Add the cabbage to the water left in the pot and boil (you can also steam if you prefer) until tender and cooked.
- Serve with mustard or make a gluten free gravy. Meat keeps well wrapped in foil and all veggies can be fried in butter the next day with some shredded corned beef for a breakfast hash – mmmmm!
Take leftover potatoes, carrots, onion, and some shredded corned beef and fry in a good amount of butter Continually turn and fold the mix until it browns and goes sweet. Kids will devour this!