- 4 Large or 6 medium brown onion, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- This has to be done in a stainless steel pan or cast iron pot with a thickish base, a thin pan will just burn.
- Place the onions in the pan with a good glug of olive oil and chunk of butter – maybe a Tbsp of each.
- Place on the smallest burner / plate on your stove and heat up to a gentle sizzle. Once sizzling make sure the onions are coated in the oils and then place the lid on and turn the burner down to low.
- Check every 10 mins and give a stir to re-coat the onions in oil. If at any stage it looks like its too dry, add a tiny splash of oil.
- Cook for approximately 45 mins (it will depend on your pan and stove) until the onions look like a mushy compote. You may end up with excess oil in the pan, just use a slotted spoon or egg flip to remove the onions to a dish to keep warm.
This is best with a perfectly cooked steak. Simply spoon the still warm onions on top of the steak and then sit back and expect amazing praise from your husband!